Enter your keyword

City Council approves 2019 capital budget

City Council approves 2019 capital budget

City Council approves 2019 capital budget

More than $31 million will be invested in the City’s infrastructure following City Council’s approval of the 2019 Capital Budget. 

St. Catharines City Council passed the $31.3 million capital budget at its Jan. 28 meeting. The capital budget funds improvements and upgrades to important infrastructure assets in neighbourhoods across the City, such as roads, bridges, storm sewers, sidewalks and buildings, as well as parks and recreation items such as playgrounds and trees.

“The capital budget is about investing in projects and infrastructure that ensure our sustainability, while preparing for growth,” said Mayor Walter Sendzik. “The capital budget touches streets, sidewalks, parks and neighbourhoods in the City, with improvements and upgrades to infrastructure that will help us on our path to be one of the most innovative, dynamic, livable and sustainable cities.”

The 2019 capital budget includes funding for projects such as the replacement of the training tower for St. Catharines Fire and Emergency Management Services, replacement of the ice plant at Bill Burgoyne Arena, water-bottle filling stations for several City parks and upgrades to George Taylor Field. Additionally, linear asset projects for roads, storm sewers, sidewalks, bridges and culverts throughout the City have been approved with the passing of this budget.

“Governments at all levels need to recognize that infrastructure needs are not just fun, exciting ribbon-cuttings at new facilities. The nuts and bolts of this budget, like all capital budgets, is focused on ensuring that our existing infrastructure is kept in good shape to continue serving the population,” said Councillor Mat Siscoe, Budget Standing Committee chair. “It is a continuing challenge to keep meeting these needs; this budget is another step in the right direction.”

The capital budget is funded by four sources, with 23 per cent of funding, or $7.1 million, coming from grants, with the remaining 77 per cent funded by debenture, City reserves and revenue from the City’s operating budget.

The entire 2019 capital budget can be viewed online at www.stcatharines.ca/CapitalBudget.