Mayor’s Report – May 7
The latest Mayor’s Report on community events, news and business in #OurHomeSTC
- In the Soil Festival – the 10th anniversary arts and cultural festival was a great success!
- YWCA Niagara Region is celebrating 90 years in Niagara and getting ready for their annual fundraiser: No Fixed Address. This year it’s on June 8-9 at General Motors in St. Catharines.
- Niagara Folk Arts Festival kicked off it’s 50th annual heritage festival this weekend. See you at the open houses!
- Hats and Horses – the first annual Kentucky Derby fundraiser was a great event in honour of Jan Cook. The event raised $36,000 for local charities. Congratulations to all the organizers.
- There’s another derby coming up for youth: The Youth Literary Derby for grades 5-8. Visit www.youthliteraryderby.ca to sign up.
May 1 was First Responders Day in Canada. A big thank you to all of our First Responders: fire, police, medical services and volunteers who serve our communities with bravery, honour and dedication every day. Congratulations to two Niagara Regional Police Officers who were recently awarded with new honours: Superintendent Cindy White and Constable Glen Hamilton.
Congratulations to Grant LaFleche, reporter for the St. Catharines Standard on receiving a National Newspaper Award – a top honour in Canadian journalism
It was a beautiful weekend to enjoy the spring weather and support community:
- Walk for Muscular Dystrophy at Lakeside Park
- Cover the Kids motorcycle ride for charity and motorcycle safety
- Hike for Hospice
May 7-13 is Children’s Mental Health Week – so that no one suffers in silence. Thanks to Pathstone Mental Health for services provided to young people.
Flower pot program – local businesses can get a professionally-designed flower pot from the Green Committee. Sign up by May 25 – they’re sure to sell out.
The Lakeside Park Carousel will open on May 19 – still just a nickel!
The 2nd annual St. Catharines Youth Forum will take place on Tuesday, May 29 at the FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre. It’s a free event for high school students with lunch and transportation included. Sign up by emailing email@example.com
Enjoy the spring weather!